Christmas in Shepherdstown, WV
The song says there’s no place like home for the holidays. Whoever wrote that song probably hadn’t been to Shepherdstown – because there’s no place like Shepherdstown for the holidays!
Here are some highlights of the upcoming festivities in the Shepherdstown area! There are a ton of events taking place – too many to mention – so make sure to check the entire schedule at http://www.christmasinshepherdstown.com/schedule.html. Everyone, young and old, will enjoy Christmas in Shepherdstown, West Virginia!
Friday, November, 29:
- It’s the day after Thanksgiving, commonly known as ‘Black Friday’- a grueling shopping event to say the least. Forget all that! Head down to historic Shepherdstown for the opening day of Christmas in Shepherdstown. There will be plenty of shopping downtown – and plenty of activities too!
- Eat S’mores at the bonfire – watched over very carefully by the Shepherdstown Fire Department from 5:00-8:00pm.
- At 6:00pm, Mrs. Clause will read the classic “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” at the Wall at McMurran Hall, and the Grinch will drop by for some mischief!
- At 6:15pm the Town Tree will be lit up by Mayor Auxer on the McMurran lawn. And at 6:30pm Santa will make his appearance in Shepherdstown, with pictures and wish lists to follow inside at McMurran Hall.
- There will be free carriage rides on King Street.
- Tour the “little house” on Princess Street; it will be open from 12:00-2:00pm.
- From 2:00-3:00pm Christmas music will be played at O’Hurley’s General Store by the Thursday night musicians.
Saturday, December 7th:
- The Annual Christmas Parade on German Street will feature marching bands, a live Nativity scene, Morris Dancers – and much more!
- Starting at 7:30pm, get dressed up for the Holiday Gala Concert at Shepherd University’s Frank Center for the Performing Arts sponsored by the Friends of Music.
Saturday, December 21:
- On December 21st at 1:00pm on the steps of McMurran Hall, Tuba Christmas will gather and play the festive sounds of the holiday season!
Throughout the Season:
- Between events there are plenty of restaurants to grab a bite to eat or pubs to relax the holiday nerves. The Bistro 112 and Bavarian Inn serve French and German food respectively. The Yellow Brick Bank Restaurant serves an eclectic menu with fresh baked bread, and the Shepherdstown Sweet Shop Bakery has fresh pastries and their specialty, Holiday Stollen.
- Christmas in Shepherdstown is ultimately about finding that perfect gift. Find vintage offerings at Refinements of Shepherdstown and crafty items at the Dickinson and Wait Craft Gallery. For the outdoor adventurist look no further than Shepherdstown Pedal and Paddle or Two River Treads.
- Many stores will be offering “sips and sweets” throughout the holiday season.
You might choose to go to a mall or shop online for your Christmas shopping, but you will probably have more fun Christmas shopping in Shepherdstown. With all the holiday events, friendly pubs, and world class dining, where else would you rather be?
It’s all right here in Shepherdstown. If you’d like to be part of this dynamic community and you’re interested in purchasing a house in the Shepherdstown, Charles Town, or Harpers Ferry area, then let Linda Kilroy show you the way.
Contact Linda’s Team at (304) 725-1145 with any questions. Linda’s Team Knows Homes!
Photo credit to James Tyson, Acroterion, Jimmy Emerson, and Elaine Keagle.